People who work in the Central Business District often think that spending more is imperative for survival. If someone working in the CBD, who used to work in a relatively more industrialized area like Jurong was asked about daily spending, the person would respond by saying that their spending used to be much lesser in Jurong, at least 20 to 50% lesser, than in CBD comparatively.
The difference in amounts can be astonishing as it can rise up to an additional couple of hundred dollars a month in the CBD. Since people have to find a way to sustain themselves, they look for other means of sustenance such as low income personal loans and whatnot. Such a loan is beneficial in the short term but can be problematic in the long run, thus for people looking to save some extra cash while working in town regularly, here are some basic tips to follow.
Learn more: Where to find best personal loan in Singapore?
Daily Savings on Food
In the CBD, food expenses can result in approximately half of the daily spending you do at work, so if a person was to be a little more careful in this area, healthy savings can be done. Following is a list of simple practices and rituals one can adopt to ensure money saving in this area:
• Home cooked food provides the benefit of being able to eat a cheap but good meal. If you bring home cooked food a couple of times a week, you can save a lot on meal expenses.
• Hawker centres are well known for the good food they provide at cheap prices (such as Lau Pa Sat, Golden Show, and Amoy Food Centre). So, it is a smart choice to switch to these food providers instead of restaurants. As for people complaining about the heat in these places, one could simply get some food packed with friends and colleagues and eat back at the office.
• Whenever you decide to dine in restaurants, often discounts and money saving schemes are available on various credit cards so it is a wise choice to use them.
• For salad lovers, some hawker centres are renowned for their salads too such as The Salad corner at Golden-Shoe and Amoy Food-Centre, as well as B Salad and Green Bites.
• For the sake of health, it is a smart idea to eat light every now and then- pack a simple home-made sandwich with home-made ingredients.
• If you work at a flexible workplace, then a simple way to save some money is to have a relatively heavy breakfast and ensure that you eat lunch during off peak hours. Use food apps that offer discounts at these hours.
Cost of Transportation
The Mass Rapid-Transit (M.R.T) system is well renowned for its efficiency and cheap pricing. When such a good facility is available, avoid taxis and use this instead. Also, parking rates are quite high in the CBD therefore driving to work is not recommended for individuals wanting to save money.
On an average week day, parking can cost up to $4 to $5 hourly which can amount $35 to $40 a day. This is a significant amount of money and it can easily be saved. However, if there is a special occasion and you feel taking your own car is necessary then following is a list of carparks that are comparatively much cheaper than average rates present in the main CBD area:
• For $3/hour for the first 2 hours, the CPF-Building Robinson-Road is a good choice for parking.
• For $3.6/hour, Great Eastern-Centre is a smart choice if one is looking to save money.
• For $2.8/hour, the Hub Synergy-Point is cheap and affordable compared to the average CBD rates.
• For $3/hour again but for 3 hours, Klapsons, The Boutique Hotel is a viable option for people only looking to park for a couple of hours.
• For $2.6/hour, Liang Court is a good option if you work near the area.
• At a very cheap rate of $2.2/hour for the first 2 hours, the Marina Square is an optimal place for parking while aiming to save money.
• The cheapest of all, for $2/hour, The Esplanade is an intelligent option for parking and is recommended for individuals who need to use their cars and park somewhere on special occasions.
Smart Savings on Parties Post-Work
The one motivational (but costly) aspect of the CBD is the convenience of holding after work parties. The area is surrounded by places to drink and enjoy oneself and the concept of a drink after work is quite appealing to office workers.
It is understandable that a worker would not want to cut short on the enjoyment aspect of their working life otherwise demotivation would take root. So for your sake, we have compiled a list of deals offered by unique places for Friday nights that are a surefire way to save money on those parties:
• From 5 pm onwards, Loof offers $5 for wines and house spirits, the rate rising a dollar an hour till 8 pm.
• From 6 pm to 9 pm, Chupitos sells bottled beers and housepours for $6.
• The Five Izakaya Bar offers a range of drinks from wines to kronenbourg and house sakes at $5 throughout the night till midnight.
• From 12 to 8 pm, the Bistro 1855 offers $6++ for wines, beers and spirits.
• 5 Emerald Hill has a unique 1 for 1 martini that it offers its customers from 9 pm to 1 am.
• For individuals who like to binge, Harrys offers a bucket of 5 beers at $49.
Luckily for users of Amex Platinum-Card, more drinking discounts and deals are available:
• These card holders are provided with a free cocktail at the Ah Seng Cold-Drink Stall. The cocktail is complimentary.
• The G.E.M Bar offers a 1 for 1 on the first drink customers get.
• Kirin or Pure-Blonde beer is given free, compliments of The Mad Men Attic Bar.
• The Secret Mermaid also offers a 1 for 1 on the first drink.
These expenses are considered to be 3 of the main areas of expenses for CBD workers. If money usage can be decreased in these areas, a significant amount of money can be saved, up to $100 or $200. Try it out for yourself!